Postersession 2
Poster #: 77
Topic: MMN across modalities
Thursday, Sep 10, 2015
1st floor

The study of tone-frequency effect on EEG-MMN to duration change

Yusuke Osakabe, Moeko Tanaka, Yuko Matsuki, Michinari Nozaki, Satoko Asano, Kazuko Kanno, Masayuki Hikita, Tetsuya Shiga, Norikatsu Itou, Shuntaro Itagaki, Takashi Matsuoka, & Hirooki Yabe

Neuropsychiatry, Fukushima Medical University, Fukushima, Japan

When an infrequent sound occurs among frequently repeated sounds even in the absence of attention, a negative component of event-related potential (ERP) known as mismatch negativity (MMN) is elicited. MMN may be established as a clinical measure to evaluate cognitive function in the future, but its reliability must first be confirmed. It is not known what kind of influence tone-frequency of stimuli has on duration-MMN. The goal of the present study was to examine whether the tone-frequency change duration-MMNs or not. The stimuli were delivered to 9 healthy men (aged 22-32 years) via left earphone. The deviant stimuli (80dB, 50ms) were presented at a probability of 10%, while the standard stimuli (80dB, 100ms) were presented at a probability of 90%. We made 6 conditions, each comprising different tone-frequencies (500 Hz, 1,000 Hz, 1,500 Hz, 2,000 Hz, 2,500 Hz and 3,000 Hz). Synchronous onset asynchrony was 500ms. During experiments, participants were viewing self-selective silent video. Definite MMNs were elicited in all conditions. There was no statistically significant differences in MMN between each condition. These findings may show that the tone-frequency does not affect duration-MMN.