Acceptance to the Graduate School is based on a formal written application and the collective decision of the board of the GSGAS.
The selection process is based on the excellence of the applicants and the availability of qualified supervision by professors at Leipzig University. Prerequisites for acceptance include above average grades in a Master’s degree as well as a thematically appropriate PhD proposal. As the Graduate School is internationally oriented, applications from abroad are very much welcome. Leipzig University openly strives for increased female participation and the Graduate School particularly encourages women to apply.
Applications are to be submitted in English or German and should include
2. proof of the highest academic degree earned so far
3. an exposé or a thesis proposal of up to 3,500 words containing
- a clear statement of your research question,
- an overview on the state of the art that justifies a thesis
in this particular field (including bibliography)
- a description of the sources / materials and methods to be used and
- a detailed working plan
5. two letters of reference from academics who are recognized in the field which you are planning to make an impact.
- for the summer semester (i.e. April to September) applications have to be submitted before 1 January,
- for the winter semester (i.e. October to March) applications have to be submitted before 1 July.
Please send your documents via mail to:
Graduate School Global and Area Studies
or via e-mail to: