No prior registration is necessary. Please make an appointment by sending an email to (at). Students may have up to 5 appointments (45 min each) per semester.
Are you writing your BA or MA thesis in English? Are you preparing a seminar paper or writing a letter of motivation in English? It might be that you are feeling stuck in the writing process or are unsure of the correct conventions used in academic English. If so, we invite you to come to the Language Clinic with any problems or questions you may have regarding these issues. At the appointments, we can discuss the structure of your project. We also read and edit together, focusing on issues such as grammar, vocabulary, and word order. Our motto is “learning through editing,” and the idea is that we explain the changes that need to be made, identify patterns in your writing that make it less natural, and also ask you to make changes regarding issues we have already discussed. This way you can gain writing strategies and be able to write more proficiently on your own.
Please bring a sample of your writing (up to four pages) and your questions to the Language Clinic so that our consultants can give you individual feedback and help get you back on track! We are also happy to help out with a presentation you have coming up or with general language skills such as grammar or pronunciation.
- learn how to write texts that flow well and are suitable for the target audience;
- focus on elements of academic English such as style, register, and word order;
- focus on the writing process and on ways to best structure their writing;
- learn how to punctuate properly in order to guide their reader;
- increase their overall degree of language awareness;
- improve their understanding and control of grammar structures; and/or
- focus on pronunciation and presentation skills.
The Language Clinic is open to all Leipzig University students and is free of charge.